Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Protest

Well, book number two was started and finished yesterday, in anticipation of my book club meeting on Tuesday. It was The Protest by Dianne Kozdrey Bunnell.

And just like the previous book, I'm not sure I liked it. Or perhaps it's that I couldn't really relate to the story. It's about a girl/woman who's starting to realize that the cult-religion she's been basing her life around is wrong and her struggle to not only break free, but to stay free.

Which, honestly, is where I was having problems. I really didn't have any sympathy for the main character, because I saw her as weak for so long. The choices she made, the way she let herself be pushed around, that's never happened to me. I can't ever see that happening to me. Then again, I've never been a memeber of a cult-religion. The only time I really felt involved in this story was when the main character was remember/talking to/about her dead brother or sister (Lousie, who I really liked), or in the last few chapters, where she finally makes a decision and then deals.

However, as the author of the book is going to be at the meeting on Tuesday, I've got to think of more to say. I really don't think that "I didn't like this book because I couldn't relate to the main character at all, and therefore didn't feel anything for her until the very end" would be productive.

But it would be honest.

Next up is The Blindness for the book club over at prettier than napolean. But as that book isn't "due" until the end of the month...I think I'll take the rest of the weekend off.

No comments: