Saturday, April 01, 2006

1/4 of the year down...

As today is the first of April, it's time to take stock of how I'm coming along with my personal resolutions.

So far, I've only managed to read 12 books this year; I'd hoped to be at 15 (at least).

The plan fell apart in February, where I only managed to read one book. (One book, one book. And I didn't even have the flu!) Still, I've made up a lot of ground this month, getting up to a book a day this last week, so I'm still on track to finish 50 books by the end of the year. (Again, this is 50 new books, or books that I haven't read in at least 2 years.)

However, I have managed to read one to be read book a month, which means that I'm right on schedule to read 12 of them this year. (It's sad that I've just realized that 12 books won't begin to put a dent in my tbr's...I counted last night and realized that I have 86 tbr on just two of my four bookcases. 86. Plus the five on my coffee table, the four that people said I "just have to read", the other two book cases, the dozen odd books I seem to get from the library every other week, and the semi-annual SPL book sale in 3 weeks...)

I have to say that my favorite books so far would have to be "Last of the O-Forms" (which I just raved to my mother about) and "Chocolat" (she's seen the movie). Both were incredibly well written, with descriptions of things/people/smells that made it seem as if I were actually in the story(ies). I'm looking forward to reading more by the both of them (which means that soon I'll be adding to the tbr stack. Oh, how I suffer.)

As for the book club readings, well, I'm keeping up with my rl one (we're reading "The Bookseller of Kabul" by Asne Seierstad for April.), but...the online one? I'm failing miserably. Miserably. I've only read one out of three books so far. This month's selection is "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman, and I'm really hoping I read it. (In fact, I just put it on hold. Along with another book.)

I'm never going to be done reading, am I?

No comments: