Saturday, July 22, 2006

Books

Oh my...it's hot. It's supposed to be somewhat of a record heat weekend for us here in Seattle. In fact, it's as hot in my apartment as it is outside of it...maybe hotter.

But that's not important right now.

Nope.

What's important is the fact that I have, just now, finally, on the 5th week, finished 1984.

Fi.Nal.Ly.

Let's take a second shall we, the heat is making me faint. Or maybe that's hunger.

I just, this book...dry. Especially the middle, where we're reading Goldstein's book and that dry and long and lecturing and so not keeping me focused. I enjoyed more the parts where Winston (and Julia) are "disobeying" Big Brother, living their lives, or trying too.

I don't think I'll ever be able to make myself read this again; I've pretty much forced myself to finish the last half of it. Seriously, once we started reading Goldstein's book...it all went down hill.

That said, I'm glad I did read it. Really. It's a rather interesting novel, with some rather bleak subject matter.

And for the record, if we were living in that 1984, I'd want to be a prole.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I loved 1984, I've read it twice and liked it even better the second time. The book creeps me out. Sorry you didn't like it all that much.

Anonymous said...

I read 1984 a long, long time ago. I remember liking it, though, now the details are lost to me. I definitely need to reread it. For a long time I always listed it as one of my favorites. It is sort of scary that I like those dystopian sorts of stories (always have). I must have a weird perception of the world. As for the heat--it is miserable hot here, too. My computer sits in a room with no vents, and thus no air conditioning. It is also upstairs, which means every ounce of hot air rises up and accumulates in this room. Needless to say I didn't spend much time on the computer over the weekend...but now am going into withdrawal and must read my favorite book blogs! Of course this is completely normal for Nebraska in July. I hope it cools down soon where you are!